Watching TV can make you Fat

Watching TV can definitely make anyone fat.  No, not just because it is a sedentary activity, but because the information most commercials are giving is extremely misleading and really confusing, to say the least.

Most people who know me, know I am not a TV watcher. Actually, I don't even have cable at home (A rare thing these days, I know.) Very often, I have no idea which show is the "latest craze" and which commercials are all the rave.

Last week the TV did catch my attention. I was at my parent's house and my mom had the TV on in the background. I was helping her cook and I nearly chopped my fingers off because I couldn't believe what I was hearing!

"Eat Cheerios to lower your cholesterol." "Three or more glasses of skim milk a day are a great way to lose weight". Then it got ugly "Splenda is just like sugar and is great for kids".

The worst of them all (the one where my mother had to nearly restrain me from attacking the TV "There is nothing wrong with High Fructose Corn Syrup. It comes from corn and can actually be good for you." I nearly passed out.

I can see why people are totally confused about healthy eating. I can also see why obesity, heart disease and Type 2 diabetes are at an all time high in this country and in many others as well.

After I was done hyperventilating, I decided to first turn the TV off (because my heart just couldn't take anymore) and then write this newsletter to clear up a few misconceptions.

1. Cheerios biggest claim to fame is that eating them will help you lower your cholesterol. I am here to tell you that eating processed grains, especially in the form of cereal can actually make your cholesterol go up! The cholesterol study done showed how soluble fiber can help the body eliminate bad cholesterol from the body. Cheerios has 1 gram of soluble fiber per serving. Woop-dee-doo. Big deal. I can get 2 grams of soluble fiber from an apple, 3 grams from broccoli and carrots, and more than 4 grams from kidney beans. (Beat that Cheerio Man). Honestly, I don't think there are many foods in a box that are healthy at all. They have to be highly processed to stay shelf stable, many times loading them up with chemicals and fillers that are making us gain weight. My recommendation is ditch the cereal and pick up some wholesome natural foods like fruits and veggies. Natural grains like brown rice, millet and quinoa are 10x's better than any boxed cereal.

2. Milk does a body bad! That's really what the commercial should say. Ok, that is not entirely true. Conventional milk does a body bad. If you have read the Dairy chapter in The Diet Solution Program, you know my stance on milk: Organic is a must and Raw Milk is even better. If you didn't read my article on milk, you can read it here:

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE

But don't go yet until you read #3.

3. Give Splenda to my children? Never! Splenda has not been out on the market long enough to show whether it is actually safe or not. Until then it is a public health experiment (No thanks, I don't' want to be your guinea pig). Being the organic chemistry nerd that I am, I know exactly how sugar is converted to Splenda. I will spare you the chem lesson but tell you that Splenda (or sucralose) is a synthetic compound stumbled upon in 1976 by scientists in Britain seeking a new pesticide formulation. Huh? Did you say pesticide? Yup. Many chemists believe this molecule resembles a pesticide much more than it resembles natural sugar. If this is still in debate, I will not be a test subject. I highly recommend you take yourself and your children out of this experiment as well. My tip: Stick to natural sweeteners like whole fruits, stevia and agave syrup and stay away from artificial sweeteners like Splenda, Equal and Sweet & Low.

I could probably go on and on. If I watched TV long enough (or if I actually purchased cable) I could probably find 10, 20, 100 more commercials that are giving us false info, all in the name of selling products.

Now, go shut the TV off will ya?

Read the Real Truth about Healthy Eating and Weight Loss and get started on your own fat loss and health goals right away.

 

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE

 

 

  diet exercise programs diet exercise software diet fast lose weight diet fast loss weight diet fast weight loss diet fat burning diet fat lose diet fat loss diet fat loss plan diet fat loss program diet fitness plan diet fitness program diet fitness programs diet fitness software diet food diet food chart for weight loss diet food delivered diet food delivery diet food delivery programs diet food for weight loss diet food healthy diet food ideas diet food list diet food menu diet food plan diet food plan to lose weight diet food plans diet food plans to lose weight diet food plans to lose weight fast diet food program diet food programs

Comments

Popular Posts