Contrary to popular belief, healthy eating does not have to inflict damage to your wallet. In challenging economic times, many people tend to go for the "cheapest" food options and sometimes these options are far from healthy.
Just recently my husband and I put ourselves on a serious "budget" and of course this meant a "food budget" as well.
Below are the simple steps we took to continue to live our healthy lifestyle while saving a few dollars in the process.
1. We drastically cut out eating out. It's shocking to discover how much you are really spending by buying a quick pizza and ordering quick take out every once in a while. What we often don't realize is that every once in a while is much more often than we think. We are now cooking at home a lot more and discovering quick, easy and delicious recipes that cost very little when made at home. Now we are no chefs by any means but it's amazing what you can put together in 20 minutes or less by just getting a bit creative and seeking out new recipes.
2. My husband is now packing his lunch. Truth be told, I pack it for him. I often take leftovers from the night before and put them together in a salad or a sandwich. He was spending an average of $7-$10 each day on lunch and taking his lunch instead will save us over $280 a month.
3. Bargain shop. I have become a master of seeking out the sale. I know which grocery stores will put their fruits and vegetables on sale and where I can get the best bargains. If the weather permits, I always go to the local farmers markets to get fresh fruit and veggies. Not only will you save a ton of money at a farmers market, the produce is fresh and delicious.
4. We have learned to love and embrace leftovers. It is amazing what you can do with leftovers once you get a bit creative. Don't let food go to waste. Use leftovers from the night before for lunch or re-heat for dinner.
5. Cut out the expensive junk food. It's shocking how expensive cereal, crackers and packaged snacks are. You can get 10x's more for your money and value by buying plain oatmeal, making your own bread, and snacking on fresh fruit.
Healthy eating does not have to break the bank. Find good deals, learn to embrace cooking and discover the power of the leftover and you will be well on your way to a healthy, cost effective eating plan.
Get started on your own Fat Loss and Healthy eating plan right away with these Simple and Healthy Meal Plans.
effective weight loss plans effective weight loss program effective weight loss programme effective weight loss programs effective weight loss tips egg diet for weight loss emergency weight loss emergency weight loss diet emergency weight loss plan energy diet plan example meal plan example meal plans example of a good diet example of a healthy diet example of a healthy eating plan example of a healthy meal example of a healthy meal plan examples of diet plans examples of healthy meal plans exercise and diet plan exercise and diet plan to lose weight exercise and diet plans exercise and diet program exercise and diet programs exercise and weight loss exercise and weight loss program exercise diet plan exercise diet program exercise diet programs exercise diet weight loss exercise fast weight loss exercise fat burning exercise for weight loss exercise lose fat exercise lose weight exercise no weight loss exercise plan for weight loss exercise plan to burn fat exercise plan to lose weight exercise plan to lose weight fast